FAQ – What is a Public Adjuster?

What is a Public Adjuster? FAQ

What is a Public Adjuster?  A public adjuster is the only type of professional claims adjuster who can legally represent the interests of a policyholder. They are an authority on loss adjustments and can assist you in preparing, filing, and adjusting your insurance claims.

They exclusively work for the policyholder,  not the insurance company.

Why should anyone hire a public insurance adjuster?

  • Cut thought the maze of expertise required in the insurance claims process.
  • While insurance companies seek maximum profits the adjusters that they employ are frequently overworked and underpaid. Many company adjusters will not have the time to determine everything that you are entitled to. In addition adjusters in the direct employment of an insurance company have as part of their compensation strong encouragement to save money whenever possible.
  • A public adjuster works diligently to prepare and present your claim to the insurance company and is not influenced by any conflict of interest.

What is the fee for a public adjuster?    Typically our fee is 10% of Gross Insurance Claim Settlement minus your deductible plus sales tax on our fee depending on the state where the loss took place.  Please call 855-203-2226 for fee rate in your state.

What are ICRS’s terms? No recovery, no fee.  If you do not receive settlement from your insurance company, we do not collect a fee.*  Our service fee is due in full upon receipt of payment from the insurance company.  *Contingency fees in Louisiana and Utah are prohibited, nominal fee.

What kind of results has ICRS delivered historically?   We have successfully increased insurance claim settlements on the behalf of our client policyholders from 20% to almost 10,000% higher than the insurance carrier’s initial offer.    Policyholders who have an advocate representing their insurance claim settlements typically result in larger payments to the policyholders. 

What can a good public adjuster like ICRS do for me?  The time savings alone is something you can’t even quantify.  The peace of mind knowing that ICRS is taking care of the details such as documentation, negotiations, policy interpretation (pro-policyholder), inspections, estimates, paperwork, paperwork and more paperwork to ensure you get everything you deserve is priceless!  If you hire a tax preparer to do your returns, chances are you’ll appreciate a good public adjuster.

Why should I use a public adjuster?   After you report a claim to your insurance company, they will send you an adjuster who represents them and their interests, an independent or staff adjuster. These folks work for and are paid by the insurance company.  They are well trained in interpreting insurance policies pro-insurance carrier.  Their job is basically to minimize the “exposure” or amount paid out by the insurance company. By hiring a public adjuster, you will feel more confident that your rights are being protected by a professional who is working for you.

Does every claim warrant the use of a public adjuster?  No.  If you suffered a loss and you are comfortable handling the claim yourself and/or are satisfied with your treatment and settlement that your insurance carrier has paid you would not need a public adjuster.

When should I engage a public adjuster?  Typically, the sooner the better especially if you have a partial loss.  Documenting damage as close as possible to the date of loss is the most beneficial because partial losses are the most widely interpreted areas of policy coverage.

Insurance claims are often a process.   Whether you are just initiating a claim or you are dealing with a claim that has stalled out or been underpaid call us.  If you are unhappy with your settlement or you feel it is taking too much time, contact us.  If you are stuck and wondering what to do next before hiring an attorney, filing a complaint about your insurance company or invoking appraisal, contact us.  If you aren’t even sure if you have an insurable loss but your building or buildings around are damaged, contact us.

If I read my policy, will I know my rights?   Even if you read your policy from cover to cover, you will not know how the insurance company interprets and applies the numerous and lengthy clauses and endorsements to the policy. With a public adjuster protecting your interests, you can rest assured that the policy will be professionally interpreted and explained to you. In addition, there are laws and statutes that apply to the insurance industry that you may not be aware of. These are things that a public adjuster will be equipped to handle because they work in the field every day.

Can I handle my own claim?  Yes, anyone can try to prepare a claim, but not everyone is equipped to do so. The public adjuster will have access to the tools and software needed to handle your claim. The Public Adjuster stands on an equal footing with the insurance company when it comes to the handling, preparation and presentation of your claim.

How long does it take to settle a claim?  Small claims might take only a few days. The average wind, hail or fire loss can take between 60 and 120 days to process. The length of time needed is based on the size and complexity of the claim. Insurance Claim Recovery Support understands the sense of urgency you feel and the desire you have to quickly resume your daily life. We will do everything in their power to ensure your claim is processed quickly and efficiently, while at the same time maximizing your claim benefits.